Megyn Kelly has agreed to step down as host of a gun violence prevention fundraiser related to the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary massacre after receiving heavy backlash over an upcoming interview with InfoWars founder Alex Jones, who has said that the attack was a hoax.

The Sunday Night with Megyn Kelly anchor had been scheduled to host the Promise Champions Gala — an event organized by Sandy Hook Promise, a gun control nonprofit formed in the wake of the horrific 2012 attack on a Connecticut elementary school that left 27 dead, including 20 children — on June 14th in Washington, D.C.

But the NBC News anchor’s interview with Jones, set to air on Father’s Day, June 18, has prompted the group to disinvite Kelly from appearing at the event, according to Variety.

“Sandy Hook Promise cannot support the decision by Megyn or NBC to give any form of voice or platform to Alex Jones and have asked Megyn Kelly to step down as our Promise Champion Gala host,” Nicole Hockley, co-founder and managing director of Sandy Hook Promise, said in a statement. “It is our hope that Megyn and NBC reconsider and not broadcast this interview.”

Kelly — who left Fox News earlier this year to lead two news programs at NBC — shared a preview clip of her interview with Jones on her Twitter account Sunday. In the clip, Kelly asks Jones how he feels about being called “the most paranoid man in the world,” while the radio host and InfoWars founder says he believes 9/11 was an “inside job” and that he was unfairly maligned for his views on the Sandy Hook attack.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s