An engineer’s arm was ripped off by a crocodile after he followed his pet dogs into croc-infested waters.
To add insult to serious injury, Mudit Dandwate was then fined for trespassing in the lake, in the south Indian state of Karnataka.
The 26-year-old’s dogs had jumped into the lake – and, miraculously, he managed to fend off the crocodile while defending his pets.
But during the struggle, Mr Dandwate lost his arm when the beast clamped its powerful jaws around his forearm in an attempt to drag him into deeper waters.
Four forest officials helped him after hearing his cries for help, but later fined him for trespassing.
Locals said the government workers claimed he was in breach of boards around the lake which warned of crocodiles.
Dr Thomas Chandy, orthopaedics chief at Hosmat Hospital, where Mr Dandwate was treated, said: ‘Crocodile jaws are very strong and their bites are poisonous hence the arm has suffered much impairment.
‘Damaged tissue has been removed from the wound to prevent infection.
‘We will repeat the procedure on Monday and attach an artificial limb.’